I recently discovered that one of my chain links had partly broken. Fortunately I spotted this whilst cleaning the bike, rather than on the road.
Replacing the broken chain link with a new one is quite straightforward.
- Break the chain with a Chain Tool at the damaged link and take the chain off the bike.
- Once off the bike, remove the broken link.
- Add a new link. if you fitted your original chain, you should have spare links as you nearly always have to shorten a new chain before putting it on your bike. As you are doing this off the bike it is easiest to put the chain tool in a vice, to free up your hands to hold the chain parts in place when you insert the new pin/link
- Replace the chain on the bike, threading it through the relevant gear derailleurs.
- Connect both ends of the chain together.
- The ne link should move easily like the other links. If it is a bit still flex it from side to side.